Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sigh

I am currently teaching my favourite Earth Science area; minerals. I mean, hello! Gold. Silver. Diamonds. The guys laugh at me because I keep telling them random things I know about various gems, etc. Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to make rock candy as a class. It's the first major thing I've done that was class-wide in terms of involvement. Yeeeeeh. Never. Ever. Again. The kids were mostly behaved during 6th hour (which was actually the hour I was most concerned about) but during 7th hour one of the boys did not listen to a thing I said and continued to do pretty much whatever he wanted. I gave him an "F" and detention. He acted like he had done nothing wrong and like my frustration at him was unwarranted. It was the closest I've ever come to getting physical with a student. I literally wanted to wrap my hands around his neck and shake/squeeze.

On a happier note; it's strawberry season in Korea and I've been eating about a pint of the most wonderful strawberries, every other day or so. I am very picky about my fruit and these are perfect; large (2 bites min.), sweet and tart. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Going camera shopping Saturday. I think I've narrowed down the field to some form of Nikon Coolpix. Possibly though, a Cannon Powershot or Canon DMC. Final factor will be cost. If I could, I'd get a Samsung Vluu. But I'm thinking it'll be out of my price range and would just be a toy anyway. The idea of a camera/mp3 is lovely.

The student (John) I mentioned in a previous post did indeed get kicked out. This leaves me with just 2 students in newspaper. But I got another 10th grade student (again). David was here about two years ago and has returned. He seems like he'll be pretty cool.

No comments: