Monday, May 26, 2008

Media of late

So I ought to be finishing the Biology exam review sheet but can't make myself do it. So I'm doing this instead. Oi. I can't get motivated. Only 7.5 days left of school.

Several of us went to see the new Indiana Jones on Friday. It was...good. I think. I still can't decide. I don't want to give to many details but; really now? It's been some time since I've seen the other movies so I'm going to have to re-watch them (then the new one again) before I make my final decision. It feels like, intentional or not, the movie is a throwback to the b-movies of the 50's (the time in which the movie takes place), silly monsters, bad accents and everything. If that's the case it's a great movie. If not...I just don't get it. It did not seem very "archaeological" to me. I mean, it was still Indiana Jones (with the silly one liners including the ever present "I've got a bad feeling about this."). I loved Shia Lebouf. And the sword fight was fun. Currently it stands as a 7.5/10.

I got an audio book this weekend "Blue Like Jazz" by, I think his name is, Donald Miller. So. Good. It's basically a bunch of essays a guy has written about Christianity. Real, lived Christianity. None of the mystic "You need to have faith/love/joy/insert other 'need' " stuff. Just how Christianity lives out in your life. How often do we hear "It's not a religion, it's a relationship."? But we often focus on the vertical relationship to the detriment of the horizontal relationships. Yes, we need to have a relationship with God but we also need to have Christ-like relationships with others. Even non-Christians! He gets a little too social for me at times but I love it. If "fundamentalist" Christians would do some of the things he talks about it would turn Christianity on it's head I'm sure. I highly recommend it. And $100 says that one "scene" he talks about happens at the Wilds of the Rockies.

Ok, I'm going to go finish this review sheet (I think. No. I am. Therefore.).

No comments: