Friday, February 27, 2009

Max

I've mentioned Max on here several times before. He's been in my homeroom class for the last two years and is one of "my" boys.

Max is a very smart young man. He has been greatly blessed by God in the area of intellect. Lately he has started showing a bit of the pride issue that often accompanies such a gift.

For some reason Max listens to me. I really have no idea. I'm not looking for affirmation here. I just really don't know! I've read several of his assignments from other classes and there are things in them that I know came from me. In several cases I know exactly when the conversation took place. Thats ok, it just makes me go "EEK!" and makes me even more mindful of what I talk to him about. I remember being his age and lots of my ideas and opinions were those of my authorities, he's going through the same thing. Which is fine, I just need to make sure what I tell him is truly Biblical. Anyway, I say all that to show that for some reason God has given me Max to maybe help him in some areas. I'm hoping to be able to talk to him and encourage him in the area of his intellect and pride. To show him the difference between taking pride in your work and in being prideful in the abilities God has given you. Because of the way my schedule works I don't see this conversation taking place before next Thursday but I do ask that you pray that I do have the ability to talk to him and that I will say the right kinds of things and that he will listen. We kind of started the conversation this morning but it was during homeroom and the other kids were about to come in for Chemistry so we did not get very far.

I remember my parents having to talk to Benjamin (and currently Joshua) about the way they deal with their God-given abilities. I'm hoping to be able to encourage Max using some of the same things my parents said to my brothers. When it happens I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe God put me in Max's life to have this conversation. Maybe not. I don't want to seem like I think I'm the only one who will have any influence in the kids life but I do have to acknowledge that he does indeed seem to listen to me more which ought to make me very mindful of what I tell him.

No comments: